Accidents at Work

4.9 / 5
13 reviews

Contact us

Accidents at Work

Infographic: Accidents in the Workplace - Are you at risk?

Johnson Law - Accidents in the Workplace Infographic

Whether you work in an office or on a building site, your employer has a duty to protect you and keep you informed of relevant health and safety issues. Personal injury lawyers, Johnson Law, have created an infographic which highlights some of the latest statistics from the Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) report on fatal injuries in the workplace, as well as how the job you do and where you do it can affect your risk level. For more information, visit or get in touch with Johnson Law.

Accident at work and Injury at work compensation claims

Have you suffered an accident or injury at work which you were not to blame for? Your accident at work claim could have happened either in an office, on a building or construction site, restaurant, shop, warehouse, factory or a farm.   If you regularly drive as part of your job then your workplace accident could have involved injuries whilst driving your car, forklift truck, van, lorry, bus or coach.

Your employers have to ensure that are kept safe and secure during your working day and ensure they have all the necessary Health & Safety Regulations in place.  If you were driving a company vehicle which was defective and caused you injury your employer should have ensured that the vehicle was safe and roadworthy.

Your employers have legal responsibilities to report accidents and incidents depending on the type of injuries sustained and pay you statutory sick pay or contractual sick pay should you be entitled to it.  They should allow you time away from work because of your injuries or accident should you need this.

Injuries at work can be caused by some of the following workplace accidents:

• Construction or building sites including manual handling injuries, scaffolding accidents, falls from heights such as ladders, crushing injuries, etc.

• Manual handling injuries such as lifting heavy objects, back injuries

• No proper training

• Physical violence or injured by another employee, member of staff or colleague

• Slips, trips and falls for example over loose cabling or spillages

• Forklift truck accidents (FLT)

• Lack of Protective Clothing and Equipment

• Road traffic accident whilst delivering goods or visiting customers

• Dangerous or defective work equipment

Please see our comprehensive list on the left for more information on the particular type of accident you have sustained whilst at work.

Reporting an accident at work

Your employer must report serious work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous incidents to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) which include :

• Fatalities

• Slips, trips and falls,
• Back injuries due to lifting heavy objects or incorrect lifting
• major injuries such as a broken arm, ribs, amputations, etc.
• dangerous incidents like the collapse of scaffolding, people overcome by gas or other chemical poisoning, etc
• Repetitive or vibratory injuries such as Vibration White Finger (VWF) or Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS), etc.
• Dermatitis and Eczema claims
• Industrial Deafness, Tinnitus, Acoustic Shock Syndrome, hearing loss
• Asbestos / Asbestosis related diseases such as mesothelioma, pleural plaques, etc.
• other injuries that stops you from trying to do your normal work for more than three days
• Chemical Poisoning exposure claims
• occupational or industrial disease cases
Get the right compensation you are entitled to and deserve

Please see our comprehensive list on the left for more information on the particular type of injuries or illnesses you may have received whilst at work.

Any injury at work or illness should be recorded in your employer's Accident At Work Book.  All employers must keep an accident book by law.  Make sure your injuries or illness are recorded in the Accident Book accurately and the events that surrounded it as this will be used to also support any compensation claim you bring for your pain, suffering and loss.

Making an accident at work injury claim

If you've been injured in an accident at work or developed an industrial disease due to exposure to harmful substances during your working life and you think your employer is at fault, you may want to make a claim for compensation.

Claims for workplace accidents must be made within 3 years (called Limitation Period) of the date of the accident (unless this is an industrial disease case where the 3 years will start from the date you were first diagnosed with any illness or disease).  If the person who has been injured is under 18 years then the Limitation period does not start until they reach 18 years old.

Our specialist personal injury workplace lawyers have years of experience dealing with these types of accidents at work and will ensure you are compensated for the injuries or illness you have sustained as a result of your accident at work.

To ensure you receive the right level of compensation for your workplace accident call us free today on 0800 130 0699 or fill out on our online claim form.